Saturday, October 04, 2008

Hmmm

"Why do you mess with me?
And why do I continue to let you?
You pop up out of nowhere
As if we're continuing some conversation
As if you hadn't stopped all contact months ago
Digging deeper into that cut
Almost healed, now it's bleeding again
Salt to the wound, you use me, my "friend"
Just to get out of the funk in which you had fallen
I am not your upper
I am not your high
I am not anything to you
Goodbye, Goodbye, Goodbye"

I think one of the hardest things is acknowledging when someone is just not your friend. There are those who are needy, and want your comfort and friendship, but never return either. Somehow, the person thinks it's okay to go to me as if I am required to befriend him/her without any thought of reciprocation.

Sometimes, that's allowed. In ministry, there are often those times when I am happily the giver and not the recipient. However, I think I've allowed that in other areas, and I'm just now getting the point.

It is NOT OKAY to have someone in my life who uses me to make his/her life better, and then dumps on me. It is also not acceptable when someone just drops out of my life & then expects things to go on as if s/he didn't neglect my calls, texts, or emails.

I'm not saying that I don't pray for these people, because I do. I realize that there is some growth on the other person's side that needs to occur. And I will pray, but from afar. I am not always going to be the teacher or mentor. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be lived out, so I will just continue to ask the Lord to show me how to be gentle, loving, humble and yet firm and resolute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home